Monday, August 28, 2017

Alaska State Fair, 2017


We went to the Fair yesterday, but there really isn't much to tell about that.  It was pretty much the same ol', same ol'.    We basically just paid some money so we could walk around there for a couple hours.  But one nice thing happened.  As we were standing in line, almost at the gate, someone randomly handed Chuck a ticket for free admission.  It was a "vendor ticket", so apparently for some reason he just didn't need it that day and just wanted to give it away to someone.  We have no idea why he picked Chuck out of all those people.  Chuck joked that maybe it was because he was wearing his Wisconsin cap and a Brewers shirt.  Oh well, it doesn't matter.  He saved us $13.

So we walked around.  And walked around.  And walked around.  Being a Sunday, it was really crowded, so we really looked at more people than anything else.
I hate going to the Fair on a weekend, but we knew that, if we were gonna go this year, it had to be yesterday cuz we plan on going up north next weekend.  And if we come home a day early, I wanna pick more blueberries.

We went to the Farm Exhibits and looked at the cute cows, fat pigs, watched a goat get milked.
Tons of bunny rabbits, as usual.


And interesting produce.








We were too early to see the giant pumpkins this year.  Those usually aren't displayed until the last couple days of the Fair.  (The growers want to give their pumpkins as long as possible to gain every ounce possible.)

Then we went to look at all the quilt displays.  There's always lots of them to look at.  I always like to look for the Halloween ones.



And I also took a picture of this other one cuz I thought it was really cute.



Then we went to another exhibit where there was supposed to be instruments from all over the world.  It would've been interesting to stop and look at everything, but Chuck was "complaining" that it wasn't what he thought it would be, so we didn't take up too much time in there.  We saw some exotic animals in there though, and Chuck found a ukulele to play with.

kookaburra

I would like to borrow this for Halloween.


macaws

Then we walked around some more.  I took a couple photos of some of the unique food signs - foods that you can only get at the Fair.  Foods that I wouldn't wanna eat.



There was also a baked potato booth and one of the items on the menu was "Happy Heart Attack" for $12.  I wanted to get a picture of it, but I had to keep up with Chuck.  Maybe next year.


Okay, I admit that we did buy some kettle korn.  It was Chuck's idea.  It was good, but that was the problem.  I always feel "guilty" after eating something I know probably wasn't good for me.  It wasn't the popcorn I was worried about.  I was lamenting about not knowing what kind of nasty oil they used to pop it.  But I ate it anyway, and now I'm probably silently and secretly forming a gallstone or clogging up my insulin receptors. (Do I worry too much?)
Need to make myself a kale smoothie today...

But at least I can say, that was the ONLY thing we ate from the Fair.  We brought our own snacks from home and munched on those when we got hungry.

By the way, I feel that we kinda got ripped off when we bought our popcorn.  See those three bag sizes on the left?  Chuck asked for a small bag.  Guess what we got.  Not the plastic bag that you see here, but the white paper bag that that's stuffed inside the display bag, which holds about half of what the plastic bag would hold.  Talk about deceiving!  I said something to the lady about it when she was filling up the paper bag, but apparently Chuck asked her for an "open bag" so we could munch on it.  So it's Chuck fault that we got ripped off.
Oh well, didn't I say that we shouldn't be eating that junk anyway? 
But still, she could've at least charged us less for that paper "kiddie bag".

I digress.

Other than spending time and money at the Fair, I have been pretty busy.  The end of August is always a busy time for me.  Harvest season.  Our cold wet summer hindered my garden this year.  No pumpkins, no butternut squash, no tomatoes.  But I have been getting some zucchini (not as much as previous years though), already harvested my green beans, half of my carrots, and started salvaging what the moose left of the celery.  Still need to finish collecting the rest of the carrots and celery, and still waiting for my pea pods to fill out.  If not, I guess I will just have to use the flat pea pods in a Chinese stir fry or something.  And I'm also still waiting for my Brussels sprouts to mature.

Our blueberries came in really well this year again, so we picked a bunch last weekend.



It took me all week to get them all cleaned, sorted, and frozen.  We were gonna pick more this last weekend, but I told Chuck I'd rather not because we are leaving for Fairbanks on Thursday.  That means, it would make sense to only pick enough so I can get them all in the freezer by Wednesday (otherwise they will sit in the fridge and rot while we're gone).  If we're gonna pick blueberries, I don't wanna limit myself!  I CAN'T limit myself!  They are everywhere, and you just keep picking and picking and picking and picking.  You can't stop picking them if you keep seeing them!!!!!  
So, I told Chuck I'd rather wait until after we get back from Fairbanks.  That way we can pick all we want, and I will be home to get them all cleaned, sorted, and frozen before they rot.
He thinks by that time they will be overripe.  But I am willing to take my chances on that.

In the meantime, we are dealing with this other little problem.


It's getting to where we have to tip toe around them.  Disgusting!
Weeners is increasing her hunting skills and she likes to brag on her progress.  She is up to 3 in one day now.  I can't believe I still have to explain to Chuck why I don't want to leave that door open for her anymore!  Does he really want our house littered with these things?

So ya, on Thursday, Chuck is turning 50.  And the following Tuesday will be our 30th anniversary.  For the past several months we made plans to celebrate these events, and they got changed, and changed, and changed.  Our plans transformed from going to England, going to New England, going to D.C., to just staying home, to going up north.
With Chuck talking about retiring and moving to WI all the time, I figured it would be a good idea to take advantage of Alaskan opportunities while we still can.  I've always wanted to see the Arctic Circle, and this would be our best opportunity to do that, while Steph is still living in Fairbanks, so we have a place to stay.

I will tell you all about that trip after it's over.

In the meantime, sit back and watch your rodent population decrease.




No comments:

Post a Comment