Saturday, April 19, 2014

Spring Happenings

I don't have anything big or exciting to share, since nothing's been happening, but I really hate when too much time goes by between posts.  So this is going to be a post about little things that I have been busying myself with.  Warning:  you might get bored.

One of my hobbies that goes under the heading of Scrapbooking, is making treat boxes.  I run into a few minor problems with this.  I don't know too many people (in my generation) who appreciate getting candy anymore, so I always do this with hesitation.  But I have so much fun making the boxes, and giving them away is part of the fun.  I am still trying to find other ideas to put inside the boxes besides candy, but candy is so festive and fun to play with, so that is what I end up putting in them. I can't resist buying the seasonal candy when the store shelves are so full of them. I figure, whoever doesn't like the candy can do what they want with it.  For me, it's all about making the boxes and giving them away.

This year my Easter boxes didn't turn out exactly like I wanted them to.  But here goes:


I start off with making these bunny things with Spree candy in them.



 Then I made these pouches with sour patch bunny candies.


Then I made these boxes from the Stampin' Up! Candy Wrapper die.




 The ones on the left were made from the Stampin' Up! Matchbox die (I'm not overly proud of those - my creativity mode was apparently shut off that day)  The ones on the right were made from the Stampin' Up! Mini Milk Carton die.  

Then I knew I was running out of time to make any more boxes, so reverted my attention to food.  Like these cupcakes that I saw in a magazine.  They looked so cute, I had to try making them myself.



They were really easy to make.  The sourness of the sour punch straw handle clashes with the sweetness of the cupcake, so if I were you, I would eat that first by itself before digging your teeth into the cupcake.  My kids won't eat coconut so guess who will be eating all of these?  Luckily for them, I made only 12 cupcakes and used the rest of the cake batter to make a regular small 8x8 cake, with nothing but chocolate frosting on it.  Plain jane - just how they like it.

Here is a picture of our house rat enjoying some Easter sugar:




When you give her a foil wrapped candy, she likes to shred off all the paper with her teeth, and then she walks off and leaves the candy.  She took a couple nibbles of this Dove egg, but I don't think she's much of a chocolate fan.  She mostly just likes ripping off the foil.  She would probably unwrap all of them for us if we let her, but I'm not too keen on eating candy after the fuzzy rat had her teeth on it.  I don't know how Chuck can do it.

With tomorrow being Easter, I think I'm going to leave the Easter mode and move on to the next thing.  Mother's Day.  I started making this card yesterday:


I still have to figure out what I'm gonna do on the inside yet, but I like how the front turned out.  I copied the design from another card that I saw in a magazine and revised it a little bit.  For some reason, every time I make a card for my mom, I think of roses.  I guess it's because her name is Rosemary, and also because she said she likes roses, especially in February, which happens to be her birthday month.  I know February is behind us (yay!) but I still always think about roses when I make anything for my mom.  I didn't send her an Easter box this year, so I think I'll probably make some Mother's Day treat boxes for her, using "upgrade" chocolate candies instead of the cheap stuff.  If they turn out good, I'll post pictures.

I know I didn't want to write about plants in this post, but just for a quick status update, my cucumbers look like they are gonna croak.  I might have to start over with those.  Everything else is looking okay, but I still think I started them way too early.  We still have another 6 weeks before we can transplant anything outside.  My pumpkins are doing amazing though!  What a shame that they will die when I put them outside.  Yeah, that's me the pessimist.  

So that's about all that's going on in my world. I will wait for something else to happen so I'll have something to post about. I hope you all have a very nice Easter!



No comments:

Post a Comment