Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Night of the Shrew


Two cats guarding the fireplace can only mean one thing.
There's a mouse in the house again, and it's hiding under the fireplace.
Thanks a lot, Weeners.  That's just what I needed.

It was a nice day, so I took my quilting fabrics outside and utilized my picnic table for cutting out some fabric squares for my next quilting project, while at the same time amusing myself with the antics of Weeners, obviously playing with a mouse way out there by the weeds.
I subconsciously tried to keep an eye on her because I knew she liked to carry her "toys" into the house and play with them.  But I got too focused on my cutting, and I was caught unawares by the blur running into my house - with "something" in her mouth.
I followed her into the house and reached her just in time to see her drop the critter in the middle of my living room, and off it scampered under the fire place.
This got Bossy's attention, so they both sat there by the fireplace waiting for it to come out.
Chuck was there watching the whole incident, so I left him in charge to make sure that mouse gets caught, and I went back outside to do more cutting before the breeze blew away all my fabric squares.  Before long, Chuck yelled, "Bossy caught it!"  So I went in the house and coaxed Bossy to take it outside.



She dropped it on the deck and she proceeded to eat it.  
Gross.
I've never seen her eat a mouse before, so I didn't think she'd actually do it.
But the whole thing disappeared and there wasn't a trace of it left.
(Actually, it was probably a vole or a shrew.)

When I went back in the house, Weeners was still sitting by the fireplace and I thought she was silly because - didn't she see that Bossy already caught it and took care of it?
But we soon found out there was another one in there! 
Oh, so THAT's why Weeners was still sitting there! 
Now where in the world did the second one come from?
Did Weeners sneak it in?
Anyhoo, Bossy caught that one too, took it outside, and she ATE IT!
EEEWWWWWWWWWW!!
Two of those things in her stomach!
That.  Is.  So.  Gross.

Two days later, I found a smelly "funny looking" turd deposited on top of my ironing board, of all places.  Why there?!?  She's never made a deposit on my ironing board before!  I didn't want to get a close look at it.  All I know is that was smelly, and it looked like it had a tail in it, encased in a turd shell.  Thanks a lot, Bossy.

So why is Bossy the one that has to clean up after Weeners?  Weeners catches them, brings them in the house to play with them, lets them go, and it's up to Bossy to catch them.
Nice little game Weeners has going there.

Every day Weeners goes out in the weeds and chases the voles, or shrews, or whatever they are.
Here she is with her latest catch:


That one looks like a mouse.  Thankfully, it was dead already when she brought it in, so we didn't have to try to catch it, or wait for Bossy to take care of it.  But I wouldn't want Bossy to eat that thing.  Especially not if she's gonna leave it half-digested on my ironing board encased in a turd shell.

Ahh, the joys of having a cat that loves to hunt!

So this week, we got our driveway repaved.  Or at least half of it.  The guy with the long sweet beard didn't wanna do the other half until we got more sunshine cuz it's in the shade and he was concerned about it not drying fast enough.  So, while we couldn't drive on our driveway (we had to park our cars on the road), Steph came down to visit from Fairbanks for a couple days.  On Monday we went to Anchorage and did some shopping at the 5th Ave. Mall.  Tuesday, we wanted to climb Lazy Mountain, but the weather got "iffy", so we changed our plan to climb the Butte instead.  But the weather got worse than "iffy", so we didn't do any hiking at all.  Instead, we waited for Chuck to come home, and after supper, we went to the shooting range.



PW never shot a gun before, so Chuck was teaching her the basics.  I'm surprised she came with us.  Normally she doesn't want to do anything outdoorsy, but I think the only reason she came was because her boyfriend wanted to.  PW said she kinda enjoyed it, but she and her boyfriend came in their own car, and ended up leaving early (probably PW got bored).

After we got done there, we went to the V-HO (pronounced "vee-ho"), short for "Valley Hotel".
(All the locals calls it "the V-HO".)


It's a quaint little hotel in Palmer that Steph always likes to go to.  They are "famous" for their pies, but they have good food too.  Normally, I don't eat restaurant pies but I ordered a slice of lemon meringue anyway, just to be social.  Frankly, I don't know why people rant and rave about their pies.  I don't think they're very good.  My lemon meringue pie was WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too sweet!!  It just tasted like a sugar bomb with a hint of lemon.  It was not anything like the typical kind of lemon meringue that you'd make at home.  Steph ordered a slice of rhubarb-strawberry, and I tried a bite of hers.  It had NO flavor whatsover.  Steph thinks it did, and it's true that maybe hers tasted "naked"  to me because my palate was expecting more sugar (after eating my sugar bomb pie).  But I could taste absolutely nothing in her pie, not even any trace rhubarb tartness.  It was a tasteless red goo that looked like it came out of a can.  Chuck had Rocky Road pie, and I didn't taste his because it looked like it had dairy in it.  He said it was good (a little too sweet), but somehow I doubt that I would've liked that one either.  So, when I hear anyone boast about their pies, I would beg to differ.

So, Steph left already this morning.  Sorry I didn't get any pictures of her, but I just didn't really see any opportunities for any good ones.  If we had gone hiking, I could've had some good pictures, but that didn't happen.  Anyway, her visit was super short, but we had a good time.

So that is all that's going on here.
Mostly just trying to keep my house mouse-free.




No comments:

Post a Comment