Monday, March 20, 2017

Spring Is Here! Woo-HOO!

Melting snow!!

Today is the Equinox - the first day of Spring!!

Aren't you excited?

We still have a lot of snow of the ground, and will most likely get more before Spring is over, but that's okay.  Just knowing that it is officially Spring puts a spring in my step.  (boi-oi-oing!)

According to the "day and time" website, the sunrise in Anchorage this morning was at 7:59 am, and the sunset this evening will be 8:15 pm.  Today we gain 5 minutes and 44 seconds of daylight, giving us a total of 12 hours, 16 minutes, and 26 seconds!  We now have more daylight than darkness.  Yay!

So far, our signs of Spring have been almost non-existent, but we've had a few clues to let us know that Spring is on its way.  

For one thing, the cats sense it.
When the sun is shining warmly on the deck, the cats want to go out and feel it.
Unfortunately for Weaners, the snow stops her in her tracks from venturing off the deck.
This is frustrating for a cat who sees birdies out there to play with.




She is one of those kitties that doesn't really fancy the cold too much, so she was having a hard time deciding if she wanted to be in or out.  We got tired of opening the door for her every two minutes, so we just finally left it open a gap.  This made her very happy to get the best of both worlds.

I wanna be out!
No, I wanna be in!

A couple weeks ago, I saw a moose lying in my front yard.




She was just being real lazy.  I have no idea how long she was lying there before I saw her.

After awhile, she finally got up, nibbled on a few of my trees, and rambled off into the neighbor's yard.



Then on the SAME DAY!, I saw these two moose lying in my back yard!


Apparently, my yard was the moose motel that day.
These two moose were hanging around in our neighborhood for a whole week.
I haven't seen them for several days now, so they must've gone off to scope out a different neighborhood.  Maybe they would've stayed longer if I had offered free cable and a continental breakfast.

Another subtle sign that Spring is coming, is all the birds that come around the bird feeder.  You can't see the birds in this picture, but believe me - Bossy surely sees them!


So while I wait for Spring to spring, I've been trying to finish PW's quilt.


Since this picture was taken, I got the border on, got it all sandwiched and pin basted, it's now ready to quilt!
All I need now is a chunk of uninterrupted time.
With the border on, it turned out to be pretty big, about Queen size.

I wasn't too sure about the fabrics she picked, but now that's all together, I guess I like it okay.  It's nicer than it looks in the picture.  The pattern was super super super easy.

While I was sewing, Beanie was helping me keep my garbage strings organized.


She likes that job.

Let's see, what else is there for me to talk about?
Nothing much really.
Oh yeah, I planted my first garden seeds already.
Another sign of spring, yeah?

I wanted to try celery this year, and panicked when I found out it had to be started NOW.
So yesterday I had to go to the store and buy some potting soil.
It's kind of boring to stare at a pot of soil, but I know there's a seed in there and I wanna see it sprout!

Okay, I bid you adieu for now, and does Bossy.

Happy Equinox!









No comments:

Post a Comment