Friday, July 24, 2015

And the Harvest Begins!


This is what I picked this morning.  A cucumber, some broccoli shoots, and my first official basket of peas.  Now that my peas are coming in, I'm thinking I better pick a day every week and pluck off whatever looks ready.  I have a feeling my future batches will be somewhat larger than this first batch.  And I am so glad to say that, so far, we haven't had any moose eating the fruits of my labor.
(cross fingers)

My greenhouse is really looking like a mess:


I need to do a much better job at staking my tomato plants.  Next year I hope to be better equipped for that.  This being my first year growing them, I didn't know exactly what to expect.  And they are all falling all over each other and too crowded.  Plus, I had no idea that a zucchini plant would take up so much room!    Next year I'll know to space things apart more.  Hm.....I may need 2nd greenhouse......

As you can see in the far back right corner, the corn in that Smart Pot isn't doing too well.  I'm thinking about chucking the whole thing in the weed pile.  The ones in the bed are doing better, but they are being crowded out by the tomatoes, so I don't know if I can expect any corn out of them.
The ones in the outside bed seem to be doing good, but are slower at growing, so I don't know if they will have enough summer time to develop anything edible.  Here is a picture of my corn "forest".


If I was a little ant, I would love to live in here.  It like a park in there!


My cauliflower, I'm sad to say, I had to chuck it.  I waited too long to harvest it and the florets were separating and turning brown.  It didn't look like anything I would wanna eat.  Another lesson learned for next year.

I interrupt this blog post as I was suddenly aware of a disturbing fluttering noise behind me.  This just in:



Yes, folks, it's true.  I bird just flew into my house!

It fluttered frantically trying to get back outside.  Does it take long for a bird to figure out that it cannot fly through glass?

Bossy tries to coax the bird in the right direction, but that didn't work to the bird's advantage.


The more we tried to help the poor fellow, the more frantic it became, so we walked away from it so it would calm down.




Eventually, he found his way out.  
Poor fella.  He's probably right now sitting around a campfire telling all of his friends the spooky story about flying into a house that was haunted by a cat.

Getting back to the humdrumness of my humdrum life, here is the latest on my quilt:


I started sewing the corner pieces on. 
So far I got 30 of them done.  But they're really not done, per se, cuz I have to sew corner pieces on all four corners.  I'm just doing the medium squares first.  And then of course they have to be trimmed and ironed.  And this is only the "dark stack".  I have to repeat the whole process with a "light stack".


Since the pieces are coming together randomly, I can't help opening them up every time, just to see the color combo.  Some of them I'm not too thrilled about, but most of the time I think they look pretty nice together.  I think this quilt will turn out fairly nice.  And that keeps me going.

So that's all for now.  I think we might go to the cabin tomorrow, so then I'll be able to post an update on my blueberries.  I know, you're hanging on the edge of your seat cuz the suspense is killing you.

And Bossy agrees.  Can't you just see it in her eyes?

"ho hum (yawn)"




No comments:

Post a Comment